Hilton (NYSE: HLT) today celebrates the opening of Canopy by Hilton London City, the UK’s first Canopy by Hilton hotel. Set within the multi-million-pound Minories development close to Aldgate station, the eco-conscious 340-room hotel provides the perfect base for design-conscious travellers looking to immerse themselves in London’s lively East End.
Following the opening of Canopy by Hilton Paris Trocadero earlier this year and the arrival of Canopy by Hilton Madrid Castellana, the hotel joins a growing portfolio of more than 30 lifestyle hotels across the globe – a number which is set to double in the coming years. Each hotel is inspired by its local neighbourhood and designed to give guests an authentic experience, steeped in the culture of the surrounding area.
Simon Vincent, executive vice president and president, EMEA, Hilton, said: “Canopy by Hilton continues to expand its presence across Europe with recent openings in Paris and Madrid, and we’re thrilled to be bringing the brand to London – one of the most dynamic cities in the world. With Hilton set to open 30 hotels in the UK in the next five years, Canopy by Hilton London City is a stunning new addition to Hilton’s lifestyle portfolio and symbolises our commitment to providing exceptional accommodation in the very best global destinations.”
Phil Cordell, global head, Canopy by Hilton said: “Canopy by Hilton is all about championing local neighbourhoods – and what better place for its UK debut than the vibrant East End of London. With its rich textile history and thriving arts scene, the surrounding area provides no end of inspiration for this incredible hotel, and we can’t wait to welcome guests to experience everything it has to offer.”
Neil Taylor, chief operating officer, 4C Hotel Group said: “We are pleased to expand our portfolio with Hilton to open the first Canopy by Hilton hotel in the UK. Convenience and quality are at the core of our business, we carefully select hotels that are perfectly located in major key cities, so our customers have easy access to major tourist attractions. For our business travellers we ensure that our hotels are always located near key transport links. This hotel is the perfect collaboration for us, with an incredible location right in the heart of London’s buzzing East End.”
Locally Inspired Design
The hotel’s interior design reflects the rich culture of the area’s historic textile industry. Inspired by the Huguenot silk weavers who settled in Spitalfields in the 17th century, thoughtfully decorated guest rooms and dining spaces feature floral patterns and woven fabrics reminiscent of the techniques employed by the Huguenots. In celebration of Whitechapel’s contemporary arts scene, artwork created by neighbourhood artists adorns the public spaces throughout the hotel.
Eat. Drink. Smile.
Local inspiration continues throughout the hotel’s dining outlets. East End-inspired dishes made with local, sustainable ingredients are served at the hotel's specialty restaurant Penny Squares, which takes its design inspiration from the quilting technique popular in the textile industry. Meanwhile, Freedom Café, named after Freedom Press Publishing House in Whitechapel High Street, provides the perfect place to relax, work or socialise over a craft coffee or East End-inspired cocktail at the heart of the hotel. Guests can also enjoy daily tastings at Freedom Café, featuring appetisers and drinks from local distilleries, craft brewers and wineries.
A must-visit, the hotel’s stunning rooftop terrace Florattica, due to open early next year, boasts uninterrupted views of St Paul’s Cathedral and the City of London, serving elegant, refined small plates and a selection of drinks against a vibrant backdrop inspired by the floral patterns of the Huguenots.
In support of Hilton’s Travel with Purpose 2030 Goals to double its investment in social impact and cut its environmental footprint in half by 2030, the hotel, which opens with a BREEAM VERY GOOD rating – the highest possible rating for the building category – is committed to operating sustainably. Initiatives include:
- Building re-use: for both sustainable and economic benefit, two of the three buildings that comprise this hotel have been reused in construction.
- Green thinking: a green roof not only supports the City of London’s drive to create more green spaces, but also helps with passive heating, allowing the property to conserve heat without using additional energy.
- Efficient operations: a portion of the hotel’s energy will be derived from solar panels adorning another of its rooftop spaces, whilst an intelligent Building Management System controls the use of lighting and air conditioning throughout the building, significantly reducing waste energy.
- Sustainable sleeping: guests will sleep easily on beds made from post-industrial recycled steel and wood from sustainable forests, waking up to sustainably produced bath amenities featuring recyclable packaging and filtered water served in reusable glass bottles.
- Leading with local: part of the fabric of its local neighbourhood, the hotel proudly sources the majority of food and beverage from local suppliers, celebrating community farms, craft breweries and artisanal bakeries.
We’ve Got You Covered
- Guests can enjoy an array of additional amenities available at the hotel, including:
- Fully flexible meetings and events space, perfect for hosting exclusive events, high-profile meetings and intimate dinners against a stunning backdrop
- Complimentary Canopy bikes to explore the local area in the most sustainable way possible
- 24-hour fitness centre equipped with a comprehensive range of TechnoGym® cardio and strength equipment
The hotel is part of Hilton Honors, the award-winning guest-loyalty programme for Hilton’s 18 distinct hotel brands. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, exclusive member discounts, free standard Wi-Fi and access to the Hilton Honors mobile app.
Nightly room rates start from £249 or Hilton Honors members can redeem Points using the Points Explorer tool. All hotels offer fully flexible booking options with free changes and cancellations, with many rates giving guests the flexibility to change or cancel up to 24 hours before their arrival day*.